- If this song were to be remade in the United States and performed in English, who do you think would sing it, and who/what would they be referring to?
- Are there these kinds of “slaves” around in your world?
- To what extent do you identify with the final 2 lines: “Everyone wants to be free/But from what, Lord, from what?”
- Can you venture an answer to question?
- Sakharov is writing about contemporary Israel as he sees it, using the language and imagery of Jews in exile in Babylon and slavery in Egypt. Yet the audience listening to his music is in Israel, and are neither slaves nor living outside the Land of Israel. Why, then, do you think he chooses to use this imagery?